Laying and care
Necessary tools and accessories.When working with WPC boards, the same methods and tools are used as when working with hardwood. When sawing, saws with a hardened blade or with teeth made of tungsten carbide are used. If possible, these are: an electric drill or an electric screwdriver, a manual circular saw, screwdrivers, a leveling gauge, a hammer, a construction tape measure. Attention: When screwing in screws, drilling with a drill bit of a smaller diameter is mandatory! With WPC-based material, you can safely implement the most daring ideas.
1. Terrace base.The base of the terrace should be made on a solid base. The base may be a concrete base, cement screed, compacted macadam-sand cushion, supporting metal or wooden beams of suitable section, any other flat solid surface covered with a material of artificial fiber, which prevents the weeds from germinating. If necessary, you should create a cushion that may support the load. When installing decking flooring, it is necessary to design the drainage system of rain and ground water. It is desirable to provide a slope of the base of at least 1% (1 cm for every 1 m of length) to divert water in a convenient direction. Do not allow the accumulation of standing water under the flooring.
2. Laying of the frame made of joists for the installation of flooring.The boards are laid and mounted on joists, which are also made of WPC. As a rule, decking boards are laid perpendicular to the joists, with a maximum distance of 30 cm between the central axes of adjacent joists. The axle spacing is reduced in places in case of heavy loads. The compensation gap between the butt joists along the length should be at least 5 mm. Distance of joists from walls, fences, curbs, supports, drainage pipes, etc. should be at least 20 mm. To ensure the drainage of rainwater and melt water, the joists are laid parallel to the direction of the slope. Otherwise, it is necessary to provide a water drainage system by raising the joist supports. The joists may be laid at any angle in relation to the decking. It is also necessary to leave a gap in the joists perpendicular to the slope of the water drainage. The spacing between the joist supports in the case of laying on a concrete slab should be max. 300 mm. In case of diagonal laying or high loads of the decking, the joist laying interval should be reduced. To ensure proper ventilation of the terrace, the joists may be laid on supports. The ends of the decking should rest on the joists, which is why one support joist should be provided for each end of the board or two joists should be laid at the joints.
Possible suggested laying options for decking boards and consequently the joists underneath, depending on your choice of terrace arrangement.
The joists are fixed to the base with any fasteners, taking into account the linear elongation of the material.
When carrying out work on laying and fixing the joists, the following rules should be observed:
- a) it is necessary to ensure sufficient air circulation under the flooring.
- b) avoid direct contact between structural elements and the ground or grass cover
- c) it is necessary to take into account the expansion in length and width of all structural elements due to the difference in temperature and humidity during the use.
3. Installation of decking.
Before laying, the boards should be left for 24 hours in the open air.
- a) laying of boards should be started from the wall or other fixed structures.
- b) boards are fixed to the joists with clips. The clip provides a longitudinal gap between the boards, which may vary depending on the ambient temperature. The clips are inserted into the groove of the board and fastened with screws in a special recess in the center of the joist. The self-tapping screws are screwed in with as little force as possible using the electric screwdriver. The boards need to be fixed to each support point. After that, the next board is inserted.
- c) boards are laid in length with a gap of 5-10 mm between the ends. For equal spacing of all boards use wedges. At the butt joints, each board has its own fastener. When installing WPC flooring on large areas, it is recommended to use the “split” laying method, where each successive row of boards is shifted in relation to the previous one by half the length of the board.
- d) Initially, after laying, leave the ends of the boards protruding beyond the edges of the terrace. After the entire decking is fixed, use a circular saw to trim the edges.
4. Finishing of flooring edges.
The edges of the flooring may be closed with WPC angle-pieces. At the same time, it is possible to attach decorative finishing elements only on fixed stops.
After laying the flooring, it is necessary to wash the surface with water to remove the dust formed during assembly.
5. Common installation errors.
- failure to observe ventilation clearances and recommendations for rain or melt water drainage;
- installation of the joists without observing the requirements for expansion joints;
- connection and installation of the decking without observing the requirements for expansion joints;
- laying boards or joists close to walls, fences and other obstacles;
- failure to make drainage holes to prevent stagnation of water inside;
- excessive force when tightening (screwing) the screws into the clips;
Composite boards are not suitable for use in the following places:
1. Damp and closed places without access to sunlight and wind, otherwise mold may appear. It is not allowed to use the products if they are constantly immersed in water.
2. Places where the temperature changes frequently (too high and too low), for example, a steam room in a sauna or bath house, freezers or refrigerating chambers in warehouses. Otherwise, with a sharp and frequent change of temperature, deformation may occur. It is not allowed to heat the products in any way above the temperature of 80 C°.
During the use of WPC decking in outdoor areas, a slight natural fading due to sunlight is allowed. Color change is a process that occurs with every type of wood.
Instructions for the care of a decking made of wood-polymer composite.
It is important to note that during the first 2-16 weeks of operation the color of the decking board stabilizes naturally. This process does not affect the quality and durability of the product. In the process of natural stabilization, the color of the board becomes lighter, giving it its natural characteristic color.
Just like any other object used outdoors, decking boards need periodic cleaning. To ensure the good appearance of the decking, it may be washed periodically with warm soapy water, after which the soapy water may be rinsed off.
- Greasy stains – from oil, sauces or ketchup should be removed immediately, using degreasing detergents. After that, the coating should be thoroughly washed with warm water.
- Rusty stains are effectively removed with soapy water and a sponge (you may use washing powder without bleaching effect) after which the flooring should be thoroughly washed with warm water. To prevent the appearance of rust, it is necessary to exclude the contact of the decking boards with metal (furniture legs, benches, etc.), using plastic caps, protective mats or special felt stickers.
- Snow should be removed from the decking using plastic spatulas, otherwise the surface could be scratched. Also, do not use pricking tools such as an ice axe or crowbar when removing ice They will damage the coating, making it unusable.
- The decking should always be kept clean to avoid the formation of mold: wash it at the end of the pollen season, provide ventilation around the decking and avoid direct water discharge onto it (e.g. from the roof of the building).
Recommended use: environmentally friendly cleaners that do not contain harmful chemicals (bleach, ammonia, organic compounds). They effectively remove mold, grease stains and other contaminants.
It is not recommended to use hard water, since it contains dissolved salts of alkaline earth metals (the so-called “hardness salts” – calcium, magnesium) This can lead to the appearance of a white plaque on the decking. In such cases, water softening units and filters are used.
Rules for transportation and storage
Our company is a major domestic manufacturer of decking made of wood-polymer composite (hereinafter referred to as TM “Tardex” WPC).
Wood-polymer composite is an alternative option of a construction material for everyone who prefers wood finishing. It is impervious to rot, mold and fungi, resistant to mechanical damages and impacts, resistant to all weather conditions and drastic temperature fluctuations.
For the production of TM “Tardex” WPC, we use the following composite material consisting of:
- ground natural wood flour (oak, ash, beech, etc.) – 70 %
- polymer binders – 28%
- additives (coloring agents, stabilizers and modifiers) – 2%.
The manufacturer of TM “Tardex” presents a new collection of decking made of WPC with a 3D effect
Decking with a 3D effect is a new stage of development, improved quality, wear resistance.
3D embossing on the front side, brushing on the other side. The 3D effect creates a beautiful palette on each board consisting of different shades of the same color. Uneven sanding on the 3D embossing side gives a natural texture.
The board on the brushed side is treated superficially, which extends its service life.
Recommendations from the manufacturer for 3D collection:
- The boards should be laid with the pattern in one direction.
- For non-commercial terraces with low traffic it is recommended to use 3D Premium and 3D Classic types.
- For commercial use terraces, in places with high traffic, we recommend using 3D Professional type.
- The laying of boards is carried out with the sue of metal clips. This allows to observe the necessary gap between the boards. The spacing between the supports of the joists or the metal structure should be not more than 30 cm.
- After installation, the board should be washed.
1. Variable color variation of decking
Semi-tone is a middle color linking two related color tints.
Tint is a slight change in color within a tone.
Tone is the main characteristic by which color is called.
Color differences within a semi-tone are acceptable for:
- Sample presented to the buyer and the manufactured TM “Tardex” WPC decking board
- TM “Tardex” WPC decking board manufactured in one batch.
The direction of laying a decking made of TM “Tardex” WPC also matters and may lead to color variation. We recommend laying boards with a texture in one direction
Permissible bending of the decking board
Longitudinal bending (up to 10 mm at a length of 1 m) of the profile is not a defect (this is a specific feature of production). The quality of installation and further operation of the profile is not affected, since the board is easily fixed with clips and takes on an even shape.
Bending (up to 5 mm at a length of 1 m) of the profile is not a defect (this is a specific feature of production). With this bend, the board should be laid in a pattern in one direction. The first board is fastened on a level, and the existing bend is tightened with clips. Subsequent boards are attached in the same way.
Bending mounting method
2. Warranty period
The warranty period is calculated from the date of sale of the products, the date of which is specified in the shipping documents and is:
- Five years for private house properties.
- Three years for commercial use.
3. Warranty terms
During the above period, subject to compliance with the rules for care and storage, proper use and implementation of installation recommendations (information on this issue is available on the website https://tardex.ua/instalation) the company guarantees the buyer:
- Absence of defects
There will be no deformations on the decking made of TM “Tardex” WPC, such as: cracks, chips, size changes due to the impacts of climatic and environmental factors.
- Resistance to fading
The profiles are painted through and over time fade naturally, without losing the main color tone Since this is a wood-based product, over time, we should expect a natural change in its color due to exposure to ultraviolet radiation and humidity.
Fading may occur in the first months (depending on weather conditions), which does not indicate any defect.
A non-warranty case is:
- Non-compliance with the requirements of the instructions for installation, operation and care of products, as well as the instructions for transportation and storage of products.
- Intentional or accidental damage to products, which also includes the use of metal shovels or tools with sharp edges for cleaning snow or ice from the surface of the product, etc.
- If the surface of the product is damaged or punctured.
- Direct or non-direct contact with extreme heat sources with temperatures above 90 °C, which may lead to fading, deformation or other damages to the product.
- Movement, deformation, destruction or subsidence of the soil or other base (concrete foundation, etc.) on which the decking is installed.
- Exposure to aggressive media (acids, alkali, etc.).
- Contamination of the decking with coloring agents, including difficult-to-remove contamination from berries, fats, etc.
- Natural fading is not a defect of this product.
- If the product was installed in violation of the installation technology (compliance with the recommendations posted on the website: https://tardex.ua/instalation).
- Presentation of products with obvious mechanical damages.
Procedure for making claims for this product
- To make claims, the buyer shall, within 14 days from the date of shipment of the goods, send a description and photos of the products that the buyer considers to be of poor quality, documents on the purchase of the goods to a representative of TM “Tardex”.
- Claims are accepted before the installation of a decking made of TM “Tardex” WPC.
- The claim is considered within 5 working days from the date of its receipt. In cases where the rules binding on both parties or the contract provide for the right to recheck the rejected products by the manufacturer, claims related to the quality and completeness of products are considered within 10 working days.
- Upon confirmation of such a claim by an authorized representative of TM “Tardex”, TM “Tardex” shall be responsible for: the replacement of the defective product, or reimbursement of that part of the cost of the product, which was paid by the buyer and found to be of poor quality.
- Replacement of defective products by the manufacturer does not entail the reimbursement of the cost of work, transportation costs, taxes and other costs, unless specified otherwise in the contract. The material provided for replacement will correspond in color, design and quality to the material being replaced, within the permissible deviations according to Clause 2 of this Regulation.
Exchange and return of TM “Tardex” products
- The exchange of goods according to Article 4 of the Law of Ukraine “On the rights and obligations of the consumer” is accepted within 14 days from the date of purchase of the goods. The exchange and return of goods of proper quality is made if it is not used and if its marketable condition is preserved.
- Products of non-standard cutting are not subject to return and exchange.
- Color differences within a half-tone are not subject to exchange or refund.
Replacement or return of defective products by the manufacturer does not entail reimbursement of the cost of installation (dismantling) of such products, transportation costs, taxes and other costs. The material provided for replacement will correspond in color, design and quality as close as possible to the material being replaced, taking into account the production technology of the product and possible design changes. An exact match is not guaranteed.