Installation and maintenance
Necessary tools and devices.
When working with WPC boards, the same techniques and tools are used as when working with hardwood. When sawing, saws with a hardened blade or victorious teeth are used. If possible, this is: an electric drill or screwdriver, a hand-held circular saw, screwdrivers, a level, a hammer, a construction tape.
Attention: When screwing in screws, pre-drilling with a smaller drill is required!
With WPC-based material, you can safely implement the most daring ideas.
1. Base for the terrace.
The base of the deck must be on a solid surface. The basis can be:
– concrete pavement;
– cement strainer;
– compacted crushed stone-sand cushion;
– load-bearing metal or wooden beams of a suitable section;
– other flat hard surfaces covered with a weed-resistant material and capable of bearing the design load
When installing a decking flooring, it is necessary to consider a drainage system for rain and groundwater. It is advisable to provide a base slope of at least 1% (1 cm for every 1 m of length) to drain water in a convenient direction. Prevent standing water from accumulating under the deck.
2. Laying the frame from the logs for the installation of the flooring.
Boards are stacked and fixed on logs, which are also made of WPC. As a rule, terrace boards are laid perpendicular to the logs, with a maximum distance between the central axes of neighboring logs equal to 30 cm. In places with intensive passage, the distance along the axes decreases.
The compensation gap between the joining lags along the length must be at least 5 mm. The distance of the log from walls, fences, curbs, supports, drainpipes, etc. should be at least 20 mm.
To ensure the flow of rain and melt water, logs are laid parallel to the direction of descent. Otherwise, it is necessary to provide for a water drainage system by raising the lag of the supports. Logs can be laid at any angle in relation to the deck board. It is also necessary to leave a gap lag perpendicular to the slope of the water flow. The interval between the lag supports in the case of laying on a concrete slab is no more than 300 mm. When laying diagonally or with high loads of decking boards, the interval for laying the lags must be reduced.
To ensure adequate ventilation of the terrace, the logs can be laid on the supports.
The ends of the terrace board must necessarily lie on the logs, therefore, it is necessary to provide one support log for each end of the board, or two logs are laid at the joints.
Possible proposed options for laying the terrace board and, accordingly, the lag under them, depending on your choice of terrace arrangement.
Lags are attached to the base with any fasteners, taking into account the linear elongation of the material.
When carrying out work on laying and fixing the lags, the following rules must be taken into account:
- а) there must be sufficient air circulation under the deck.
- b) do not allow direct contact of structural elements with the ground or grass
- c) it is imperative to take into account the expansion along the length and width of all structural elements due to the difference in temperature and humidity during operation.
3. Recommendations for choosing a WPC profile for different operating conditions.
For private households with low traffic, it is recommended to install profiles from the Lite, Premium 3D, Private new 3D collection.
For commercial terraces with low traffic it is recommended to use Classic, Classic 3D, Ultra 3D.
For commercial terraces, in areas with high traffic, we recommend using Professional 3D, Ultra 3D.
In this case, 3D profiles are recommended to be laid with the front side with a wood texture.
4. Installation of decking.
Before laying, the boards must be cured for 24 hours in the open air..
- а) Planks should be laid from a wall or other fixed structures..
- b) Boards are attached to the logs with clips. The clip provides a longitudinal gap between the boards, which can vary depending on the ambient temperature. The clips are inserted into the groove of the board and fastened with self-tapping screws into a special recess in the center of the log. In this case, the self-tapping screws are tightened with the minimum possible force on the screwdriver. Boards must be attached to each support point. After that, the next board is inserted.
- c) The length of the boards fit with a gap between the ends of 5 – 10 mm. For the same distance for all boards, use wedges. At the end joints, each board has its own mount. When arranging a WPC covering on large areas, it is recommended to use a “staggered” laying of the board, in which each subsequent row of boards is displaced in relation to the previous one by half the length of the board.
- d) Initially after installation, leave the ends of the boards protruding over the edges of the deck. After the entire deck board is secured, trim the edges with a circular saw.
*The profile (board / facade, etc.) is produced with a length tolerance of -4 / + 9 mm.
A slight excess of the length of the profile is not a marriage, since this does not affect the quality of the profile and its further operation.
5. Installation of the board, taking into account the permissible bending of the terrace board.
Buckling (up to 10 mm at a length of 1 m) of the profile is not a defect (this is a specific production). The quality of installation and further operation of the profile is not affected, since the board is easily fixed with clips and takes on an even shape.
Bending (up to 5 mm at a length of 1 m) of the profile is not a defect (this is a specific production). With this bend, the board should be patterned in one direction. The first board is fastened on a level, and the existing bend is tightened with clips. Subsequent boards are attached as well.
6. Finishing the edges of the flooring.
The edges of the flooring can be closed with a WPC corner. At the same time, decorative trim elements can only be attached to fixed stops..
Composite boards are not suitable for use in the following locations:
1. Damp and closed places without access to sunlight and wind. Otherwise, mold may develop. Operation of products is not allowed if, at the same time, they are constantly in water.
2. Places where the temperature changes frequently (too high and too low), for example, steam rooms in a sauna or steam bath, freezers or refrigerators in warehouses. Otherwise, with a sharp and frequent change in temperature, deformation may occur. Heating of products in any way above a temperature of 80C ° is not allowed.
7. Decking color stabilization
During the operation of the WPC decking board in open areas, slight natural color stabilization is allowed under the influence of sunlight. Color stabilization is a process that takes place with every type of wood. This process takes place during the first 2-16 weeks of operation. This process does not affect the quality and durability of the product. In the process of natural stabilization, the color of the board becomes lighter, which gives it its natural characteristic color.
8. Maintenance of decking made of wood-polymer composite
Just like any other outdoor object, decking needs to be cleaned periodically. To ensure a good appearance of the decking, it can be periodically washed with warm soapy water, after which the soapy water can be washed off..
- Greasy stains – remove oil, sauces or ketchup immediately using degreasing detergents. After this, the coating must be thoroughly washed with warm water.
- Rusty stains – can be effectively removed with soapy water and a sponge (you can use washing powder without bleaching effect) after which the flooring must be thoroughly washed with warm water. To prevent the appearance of rust, it is necessary to exclude contact of the terrace board with metal (furniture legs, benches, etc.) using plastic caps, protective mats or special felt stickers
- Snow – must be removed from the deck board with plastic spatulas, otherwise the surface may be scratched. Also, you cannot use piercing tools such as an ice pick or crowbar to remove ice. They will damage the coating, rendering it unusable.
- To avoid mold growth, the flooring should always be kept clean by washing it at the end of the pollen season, providing ventilation around the flooring and avoiding direct discharges of water onto it (for example, from the roof of a building).
Recommended to use: environmentally friendly cleaners that do not contain harmful chemicals (bleach, ammonia, organic compounds). They effectively remove mold, grease stains and other dirt.
It is not recommended to use hard water, as it contains dissolved salts of alkaline earth metals (the so-called “hardness salts” – calcium, magnesium). This can lead to the appearance of a white coating on the deck board. In such cases, water softening installations and filters are used.